Student Resources

Certain University policies and regulations affecting most students are included in this Catalog. Other regulations are set forth in various materials provided to all new students. In general, students are expected to meet the University’s academic requirements, attend classes regularly, conduct themselves as responsible members of the community, and meet their financial obligations to the University and to the residence groups to which they are assigned.

Support for Academic Success

The University provides many services to support the academic success of its students. Several of those programs are described below.

Academic Advising

Academic advising at UConn supports the University’s Mission by helping every student grow intellectually and become a contributing member of the state, national, and world communities. Advising contributes to the mission by providing exceptional support and resources that empower students to develop and implement sound educational plans. Academic advising is a critical component of the educational experience, developed through collaborative mentoring relationships between students and advisors. With support and guidance from the Office of University Advising undergraduate advising programs are administered by the advising center directors in the various schools and colleges in Storrs and by student services directors at the regional campuses.

The deans of the schools and colleges assign advisors to help students meet their academic goals and complete degree requirements. Although the advisor is responsible for making appropriate academic recommendations, the student is responsible for their own academic progress.

Meeting regularly with an advisor promotes academic success by helping to ensure educational goals align with post-graduation goals and aspirations. It also provides an opportunity for the student to discuss success-related opportunities and obstacles. Advising includes:

  • Describing the goals of higher education, the aims of disciplinary and interdisciplinary study, and the reasons for academic requirements including minimum scholastic standards;
  • Explaining registration procedures, courses, faculty interests, educational opportunities and degree programs;
  • Helping the student plan semester by semester course selection and registration including tentative and final plans of study;
  • Assisting the student in identifying co-curricular opportunities which will support their career goals;
  • Referring the student to appropriate sources for information and specialized services.

Students and advisors should both know the academic requirements published in the University Catalog and departmental plans of study.

Prior to registering each semester, students should consult with their advisors.

Undergraduate Advisory Centers

University of Connecticut Advising website


John W. Rowe Center, Room 331
Erin Ciarimboli
John W. Rowe Center, Room 111
W.B. Young Building, Room 206
School of Business, Room 248
John W. Rowe Center, Room 111
C.B. Gentry Building, Room 306
Engineering II Building, Room 304
Fine Arts
Fine Arts Building, Room 206-B

John W. Rowe Center, Room 130
Storrs Hall, Room 101D
Pharmacy/Biology Building, Room 358
Ratcliffe Hicks
W.B. Young Building, Room 202

Academic Achievement Center: The Academic Achievement Center (AAC) assists students in attaining their academic and personal goals by providing a comprehensive, personalized array of programs, resources, and services that enhance skill development, effective decision-making, and personal transitions to and within the university setting. Students can visit by drop-in or appointment. Each student is paired with a coach for a one-on-one session. Students are welcome to return and meet with a coach as often as they want. Professional staff are available by appointment. Please call or email to schedule an appointment. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 217; Phone: 860-486-4889;

Academic Center for Exploratory Students: With expert academic advising and staff, ACES helps students navigate the most efficient route to their selected field of study. Home to The Major Experience (see The Major Experience below). Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 111; Phone: 860-486-1788;

Center for Academic Programs: The Center for Academic Programs (CAP) increases access to higher education for high-potential high school and university students who are first-generation to college and/or from underserved populations. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 231; Phone: 860-486-4040;

Center for Career Development: The Center for Career Development is a university-wide career readiness culture that prepares students for post-graduation success. The mission is to deliver comprehensive, innovative, and inclusive programs and services for all students. They cultivate connections to campus and community partners promoting opportunities for students to become contributing members of the state, national and world communities. The office serves as the clearinghouse for internships and cooperative education which are an important part of the educational and career development process. Wilbur Cross Building, Room 202; Phone: 860-486-3013;

Center for Students with Disabilities: The Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) collaborates with the campus community to ensure a comprehensively accessible University experience where individuals with disabilities have the same access to programs, opportunities and activities as all others. CSD embraces the spirit of the law by providing services to all students with permanent or temporary injuries and conditions and engages in an interactive process with students who request academic and/or residential accommodations. Wilbur Cross Building, Room 204; Phone: 860-486-2020;

Dean of Students Office: The primary function of the Dean of Students Office is to provide a place where students come to work with staff to identify possible solutions to challenges they face as they navigate campus life. They provide support without judgment and recognize that every student experience is unique. Wilbur Cross Building, Room 203; Phone: (860)486-3426; Email:

Education Abroad: Education Abroad helps students engage in accessible, challenging, and safe intercultural experiences that advance evolving knowledge of self, others, and the world; critical thinking and communication skills; and inclusive attitudes and values. John W. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 117; Phone: 860-486-5022;

Engineering Diversity Program: The Engineering Diversity Program (EDP) provides academic retention programs and outreach activities designed to increase the numbers of underrepresented students pursuing careers in engineering. School of Engineering; 191 Auditorium Road; Phone: 860-486-5536;

International Student and Scholar Services: International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) supports the internationalization of the University of Connecticut through the development and delivery of services and programs that help our international students, scholars, faculty and staff accomplish their academic and professional goals at UConn. McMahon Hall, Main Floor, Suite 183; Phone: 860-486-3855;

Institute for Student Success: The Institute for Student Success (ISS), within Undergraduate Education and Instruction, provides students with the tools for success. ISS consists of four units: The Academic Center for Exploratory Students which oversees The Major Experience, and Bachelor of General Studies Program; First Year Programs, Learning Communities, and the Academic Achievement Center which oversees UConn Connects; the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation; and the Center for Academic Programs which oversees Student Support Services, McNair Scholars and Fellows, and High School Initiatives. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education; Phone: 860-486-6709.

Language and Cultural Center: Students can find support for second language and culture. The Department of Literatures, Cultures, and Languages offers tutoring by graduate students who are heritage speakers of their respective languages.  Oak Hall East SSHB, Room 207; Phone: 860-486-3314.

Learning Community Program: The communities create a small world on a large campus. Students live on the same floor, eat in the same cafeteria, and take the same classes with students who share their interests. Descriptions of the wide variety of programs and an application form can be found on the Learning Community Program website.

Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation: The Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation supports historically underrepresented students in the STEM fields. Enrollment in the program is reserved to a select and highly committed group of students with a declared major in a STEM field. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 203. Phone: (860) 486-0653.

McNair Scholars Program: The McNair Scholars Program prepares talented, highly motivated UConn undergraduate students for doctoral studies in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) disciplines. McNair is open to low-income, first-generation college students or those from populations underrepresented in STEM graduate fields who are seeking to pursue a Ph.D. Scholars are paired with faculty mentors for academic enrichment, research, and internships. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 204; Phone: 860-486-5146.

Office of First Year Programs and Learning Communities: With courses, a personal support network, interactive online resources, and unique living/ learning experiences, First Year Programs helps new students achieve success from the start. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Programs, 2nd Floor; Phone: 860-486-3378;

Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships: The Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships (ONSF) advises and mentors students at the University of Connecticut who are competing for prestigious, nationally-competitive scholarships and fellowships. ONSF is part of UConn Enrichment Programs and is open to all graduate and undergraduate students at the University, including students at the regional campuses. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education; Room 419; Phone: 860-486-4223.

Office of Undergraduate Research: The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) provides research-related opportunities and information to interested students. OUR is an enrichment opportunity for all undergraduates in all majors on all UConn campuses. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Fourth Floor; Phone: 860-486-4223;

Pre-Law Advisement: The Pre-Law Advising Office is committed to working with students and alumni to prepare for law school and legal careers. John W. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education; Room 419; Phone: 860-486-4223;

Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Advisement: The Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental Advising Office provides resources and advising to UConn students and alumni interested in pursuing professional careers as doctors of medicine and dental medicine. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 419;

Quantitative Learning Center Tutoring: The Q Center provides online and in-person tutoring services at all campuses, focusing on lower-division (but not exclusive to) Q courses in Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics. Central location: Homer Babbidge Library, Level One; Phone: 860-486-1961;

Student Health and Wellness: Housed in three sites around campus, Student Health and Wellness provides medical care, mental health services, a full pharmacy and programs, resources and services to support student health.  Our services are fully accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care and the International Association of Counseling Services. Medical Care and Pharmacy, Hilda May Williams Building, 234 Glenbrook Road. Phone: (860) 486-4700; Mental Health, Arjona, 337 Mansfield Road, Phone: (860)486-4705; Health Promotion, Wilson Hall, 626A Gilbert Road, Phone: (860) 486-9431.

Students Engaged in Academic Leadership: UConn SEAL is designed to cultivate leadership and engagement among talented UConn students. Wilbur Cross Building, Room 112; Phone: 860-486-2461.

Student Support Services: Student Support Services (SSS) increases access to the University of Connecticut for first-generation, low-income and/or underserved students with the goal of their retention and graduation. Accepted students participate in a five-week summer program designed to introduce them to the rigors of university academics prior to the fall semester of their first year. Students are assigned to a Counselor or Regional Coordinator who provides them with advising, support, and advocacy during the summer program and throughout their tenure at the university. John W. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Suite 231. Phone: (860) 486-4030.

The Major Experience, TME. The Major Experience (TME) is a student-centered program dedicated exclusively to MAJOR EXPLORATION. It is a University-wide collaboration which partners resources such as the Academic Center for Exploratory Students, Center for Career Development, and UConn’s academic schools/colleges. TME is designed to encourage the intentional exploration of majors in a holistic and interactive manner. Using a personalized approach, students are given the appropriate tools and support to choose a major(s) with confidence and, once declared, make the most of their time in that program. TME helps students explore majors by facilitating peer-to-peer connections through TME Student Mentors, encouraging networking with faculty and staff, offering personal guidance from Exploratory Advisors and Career Coaches, providing access to an assortment of valuable tools, and partnering with various University departments, programs, and resources. John W. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 111. Phone: (860) 486-1788.

UConn American English Language Institute: UCAELI offers a full service intensive English program for students of English as a second language. McMahon Hall; 2011 Hillside Road; Phone: 860-486-2127;

UConn Compass: UConn Compass is an involvement program that promotes student engagement through co-curricular involvement. The program helps students to explore opportunities available at the University and helps them connect with campus life in a positive manner. Wilbur Cross Building, Room 301; Phone: 860-486-8402;

UConn Connects: UConn Connects is an intervention program to help students be more successful academically. Students at the University may participate in the UConn Connects program on a semester-by-semester basis. Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, Room 217; Phone: 860-486-4889;

Veterans Resources: The Office of Veterans Affairs and Military Programs provides support for our veterans, guardsmen, reservists, active duty, and dependents as they adjust to the academic and social terrain at the University. Specific information regarding veterans’ financial aid is available through the Office of Veterans Affairs and Military Programs. Hawley Armory, Room 100B; Phone: 860-486-2442;

Writing Center: The Writing Center is a faculty-led staff of tutors from disciplines across the university available to support students at all stages of the writing process. Services online and in-person. Central location: Homer Babbidge Library, Phone: 860-486-4387;

Academic Records

Confidentiality of Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, protects the privacy of educational records, establishes the students’ rights to inspect their educational records, provides guidelines for correcting inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings, and permits students to file complaints with the Family Policy Compliance Office of the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures of the institution to comply with this Act. In compliance with this Act, the University of Connecticut publishes detailed FERPA information online and sends notification to students via e-mail.

Graduation Rate

Graduation Rate. The Student Right to Know Act of 1990 requires each institution to make available the graduation rates, within six years, of entering first-year classes. For students who entered the University of Connecticut as first-year students in Fall 2014, the graduation rate by the summer of 2020 was 83% for those who entered at Storrs, and 62% for those who entered at a regional campus. Non-graduates may have completed degrees at other institutions.


Students needing certification of enrollment or academic status for loan deferments, job procurement, scholarships, insurance, international student I.D. cards, licensing exams, admission to graduate school or other purposes may obtain the necessary documentation from the Office of the Registrar or through the use of the Student Administration System via the internet.

Official Transcript Requests

Students at Storrs and the regional campuses who attended after 2002 can request official transcripts of their academic records via their Student Administration System account. Students who attended prior to 2002 can submit requests via an online portal; links are available at

Transcripts can be delivered via email or by paper mail. See for information about fees and additional delivery options.

Official transcripts may be withheld if financial or other obligations to the University remain unmet. The University cannot honor telephone or ordinary email requests for transcripts, and official transcripts cannot be faxed.

Unofficial Transcripts

Any student can obtain an unofficial transcript via a computer that has internet access by logging on to the Student Administration System using their unique NetID and password. Unofficial transcripts are also available at the Office of the Registrar at Storrs or at any of the regional campuses; however, students should call the regional campus registrar in advance to make arrangements for transcript pickup.

Financial Aid

The primary role of the Office of Student Financial Aid Services (OSFAS) is to reduce the financial barriers that limit access to a higher education at the University of Connecticut. This is accomplished through providing financial aid offers to eligible students that consist of scholarships, grants, loans, and part-time employment. While students and parents are primarily responsible for funding a UConn education, the OSFAS makes every effort to provide assistance in the event that income from family, wages, savings, and other financial resources are insufficient to cover the cost of a UConn education.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). UConn’s on-time deadline is February 15th and the Federal School Code is 001417. Students whose applications are received after the deadline may not be eligible for certain types of financial aid.

Submit required documentation: In the event that the U.S. Department of Education selects your FAFSA for verification, be prepared to submit documentation to the OSFAS in order to substantiate the data reported on your FAFSA.

You will be notified via your email if additional documentation is required to continue processing your financial aid application. Upon notification, access the ‘Actions List’ tile on the homepage in the Student Administration System to determine what information must be submitted to the OSFAS. Additional information about the verification process is available Financial Aid Website.

Accept your aid offer: Upon notification via your email account that your financial aid offer is ready for review/action, access the Student Administration System to accept/decline your financial aid offer and complete all steps, by choosing the Financial Aid tile on the homepage.

Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress: Federal Regulations require the OSFAS to review the academic progress of students who apply for and/or receive financial assistance. All aid applicants are required to maintain a designated grade point average (GPA) and satisfactorily complete a percentage of the number of credit hours attempted. A complete text of these requirements is available on the Financial Aid website.

For more information about the financial aid process, eligibility requirements, important deadlines, and options for undocumented students, please visit the Financial Aid website.

Student Identification

Net ID

HuskyCT and University e-mail each require the use of a Net identification number and a password. The NetID and password become important tools to be used to register for classes, obtain grade transcripts and schedules, and change contact information. Questions regarding NetID and password should be referred to the ITS Help Center.

Student Administration System

Each student is assigned a randomly selected, unique USER ID number, which is used primarily by administrative offices as an identifier in the Student Administration System.

One Card

Each student is issued a photo identification card. The card is used to obtain services such as dining, residential life, and library. It is also the identifier used to gain entrance to some campus social events. The initial card is obtained at the One Card Office, as are replacements.

Social Security Number

The social security number (SSN) is collected to enable the University to comply with federal requirements mandated under IRS tax laws and the Title IV student aid legislation and for other administrative purposes. The University assigns each student a unique identifier that is not the SSN that is used for most administrative purposes. If the SSN appears incorrectly on any University document, the undergraduate student must present a social security card indicating the correct number to the Office of the Registrar.

Reporting Name and Address Changes

Undergraduate students must report any change of name and commuting or permanent address at the time such change occurs to the Office of the Registrar. Legal name changes require official documentation. Students may elect to use a display and/or preferred name that differs from their legal name for information on how to submit this request please contact the Office of the Registrar and/or the ITS Help Center.

Changes to current mailing address and telephone number can be made through use of the Student Administration System via the Internet.