Students majoring in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology may opt for either a Bachelor of Arts degree or Bachelor of Science degree. Both B.A. and B.S. degree candidates must complete the following courses in addition to the general CLAS requirements for these degrees: BIOL 1107 and BIOL 1108 or 1110; and CHEM 1127Q and 1128Q; or CHEM 1124Q, 1125Q, and 1126Q.
Requirements for the EEB Major (B.S. or B.A.)
- Both of the following core courses: EEB 2244/W and EEB 2245/W
- At least one of the following animal diversity courses: EEB 2214, 3254, 3265, 3266, 3269, 3273, 4200, 4250, 4252, 4274, 4275; or 4260 if taken in combination with either 4261 or 4262.
- At least one of the following plant diversity courses: EEB 3203, 3204, 3220/W, 3240, 3250, 3271, 4272, 4276.
- A course in physiology: EEB 4215, PNB 2250, or SPSS 4210.
- At least two of the following courses with extensive laboratory or field work, which may include courses used to satisfy the animal or plant diversity requirement: EEB 3203, 3204, 3221, 3230, 3240, 3247, 3250, 3254, 3265, 3266, 3267, 3271, 3273, 4120, 4200, 4230W, 4250, 4252, 4261, 4262, 4272, 4274, 4275, 4276.
- Students are encouraged to complete a course in statistics.
- At least 24 credits of EEB courses at the 2000-level or above, which may include courses in I-V above. A maximum of 3 independent study credits from EEB 3899 may count toward the 24-credit requirement.
- Related Course Requirements: At least 12 credits of 2000-level or above science courses outside EEB, which must include MCB 2410. One semester of organic chemistry is recommended.
- To satisfy the Writing in the Major and Information Literacy competency requirements, all students must pass at least one of the following courses: EEB 2244W, 2245W, 3220W, 4230W, 4896W, 5335W
A minor in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology is offered. A minor in Bioinformatics is offered jointly by the School of Engineering and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Both programs are described in the Minors section of this Catalog.