Grade Information

Class Attendance

The instructor describes the computation of the grades and the relation between grades and attendance at the beginning of the semester. Where grades depend on classroom participation, absences may affect the student’s grade. However, if a student were absent and the instructor reduced the grade, the reduction would be due to lack of class participation, not the student’s absence. Except for final examinations, instructors have final authority in permitting students to submit assignments late or make up examinations.

Final Examinations

Instructors of undergraduate courses shall provide a clear form of assessment of student work that shall be consistent with and sufficient for the learning goals of the course.

During the semester or term, examinations shall be held only during regularly scheduled class periods. Permission for exceptions to this rule may be granted by the deans or designees of the school or college in which the course is offered. Exceptions must be granted prior to the start of registration. Sections of courses for which such exception has been granted shall carry a footnote to that effect in the published Schedule of Classes. In the event of student absences from assessments given during the semester, decisions regarding possible make-up assessments shall be the prerogative of the instructor.

In-class final examinations must be given in the places and at the times scheduled by the University. In the case of online final examinations, though faculty may choose to make examinations available an extended period of time, students must be allowed the opportunity to take the examination during the time scheduled by the University.

Each instructor shall determine for his or her own courses the weight to be assigned to the final assessment in computing the semester grade of a student. Each instructor in charge of a course will assume responsibility for proctoring in-class assessments, including those during finals week.

Final Examinations for Courses Given at Non-standard Times

In undergraduate courses scheduled by arrangement or at non-standard times, final examinations must be given during the same scheduled week as courses scheduled at standard times. Instructors of graduate courses scheduled by arrangement may schedule the final examination during the final examination period, provided (1) space is available, (2) no student will have a conflict and (3) no student has more than two examinations in one day.

Absences from Final Examinations

A student who is prevented by sickness or other unavoidable causes from completing a scheduled final assessment must apply to the Dean of Students or designee for validation that will authorize the student’s instructor to give a substitute assessment. A student whose absence is excused by the Dean of Students or designee shall have an opportunity to complete a substitute assessment without penalty. A student whose absence from a scheduled final assessment is not excused in this way shall receive a failure for this assessment.

Rescheduling Final Examinations

Students should check their final examination schedule to see if they have either:

  1. four examinations in two consecutive calendar days
  2. three examinations in one calendar day
  3. three examinations in consecutive time-blocks spanning parts of two consecutive days

If any of the above apply, they may request the Dean of Students Office to rearrange their schedule. The Dean of Students Office will select one of the examinations for rescheduling and notify the instructor, usually with a letter given to the student.

Grades, Grade Points, Credits, and Skills

Grade Points Credits Skills
A 4 yes yes
A- 3.7 yes yes
B+ 3.3 yes yes
B 3 yes yes
B- 2.7 yes yes
C+ 2.3 yes yes
C 2 yes yes
C- 1.7 yes yes
D+ 1.3 yes yes
D 1 yes yes
D- 0.7 yes yes
F 0 no no
P@ N/A yes no
F@ N/A no no
S N/A yes no
U N/A no no
Au N/A no no
W N/A no no

Grade Point Formulas

Grade points for courses graded A-F are the product of the course credits and the points per credit for the grade earned. For example, given a B- for a 3-credit course, points earned for the course are 8.1 (2.7 x 3). For any period, the total grade points for the courses graded A-F divided by the total credits give the grade point average. The term GPA includes all courses graded A-F in a semester or summer session. The cumulative GPA averages all courses graded A-F.

If a student repeats a course that may not be repeated for credit, the Registrar records the grades for both attempts. If the repeat occurred prior to Summer Session 2002, both attempts are included in the GPA calculations. If the repeat occurred after Spring 2002, only the second attempt is included in the GPA calculations although both grades appear on the transcript. The student should note that when a lower grade is earned on the second attempt, the lower grade is the one that is used in the calculations.

Students withdrawing from a full-year course at the close of the first semester will, if they have passed the first part of the course, receive credit for the work of the first semester, unless the course description states otherwise.

Dean’s List

At the end of each semester the Dean of each school and college names to the Dean’s List those students who (1) were registered for at least 12 credits calculable for grade points, (2) received no grade below C, including the actual letter grade awarded in any course under the Pass/Fail option, (3) earned at least 3.0 times as many grade points as the number of calculable credits recorded by the Registrar, and (4) were in at least the upper quartile of their school or college.

Undergraduate students whose disabilities warrant the adjustment of carrying less than a full-time course load per semester can be determined eligible for Dean’s List status. The Center for Students with Disabilities will notify the Registrar each semester regarding students who are eligible.

Annually, at the conclusion of the Spring semester, the deans of the various schools and colleges shall issue a list of those degree-seeking students who did not attain full-time status at any time during the previous 12 months, but who, during this 12 month period (including summer and intersession sessions) (a) were registered for a total of at least twelve calculable credits, (b) received no mark below C nor received a U in any course, (c) earned at least a 3.0 grade point average, and (d) were in the upper quartile of their respective school or college based on the Spring data. These students will receive the distinction: “Dean’s List (Part-time)”.


In a few courses, with the permission of the Senate Curricula and Courses Committee, the instructor grades everyone in the course either S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory). As these grades have no grade points they do not affect grade-point averages. Courses graded S/U may not be used to satisfy the General Education Requirements.

Pass/Fail Option

The University Senate, the schools, the colleges and some programs have restricted the credits placed on Pass/Fail in various ways. Thus students planning to place a course on Pass/Fail should consider the consequences carefully. The advantage to the student is that the grade for a course placed on Pass/Fail does not affect their grade point average. However, they should discuss with their advisor the immediate, the long-term, the direct, and the indirect effects.

Students who have earned at least 24 credits and are not on scholastic probation may place three courses, for no more than 12 credits, on Pass/Fail. Students may not place more than one course each semester on Pass/Fail, nor more than one during the summer, regardless of the number of summer sessions attended.

Students place courses on Pass/Fail, or remove them from Pass/Fail, at the Office of the Registrar. The examining, grading and reporting do not differ from that of other students. The Registrar enters P@ if the instructor submits a passing grade and F@ if the student fails. Students must place courses on Pass/Fail during the first two weeks of the semester or the first week of the summer session. If a student, having placed a course on Pass/Fail, decides to remove it from Pass/Fail, the student must do so by the ninth week of the semester or the fourth week of summer session.

Restrictions on Pass/Fail Courses

Courses placed on Pass/Fail do not satisfy the General Education Requirement, the major or related requirements, the skill requirements, the minor requirements, or any school or college course requirement. Pass/Fail credits may not be acceptable when a student changes majors or schools within the University. Pass/Fail credits may not be transferable to another institution.

Non-degree students must have the approval of the Director of Continuing Education to place a course on Pass/Fail. The Director grants permission only in extenuating circumstances.

Students working on a degree at another institution need written approval from their dean, or other official, at the other institution to place a course on Pass/Fail.

The Registrar does not place a student on the Dean’s List if the instructor’s grade for a Pass/Fail course is less than C. Note that at least 12 credits must contribute to the semester grade point average placing a student on the Dean’s List. As the Pass/Fail marks have no grade points, the instructor’s grade does not contribute to the grade point averages. Note also that at least 54 credits must contribute to the grade point average for students to graduate cum laude or higher.

Restriction by School or College

Listed below are the Pass/Fail supplementary restrictions imposed by each school and college.

  • In the School of Business, students may not elect the Pass/Fail option for any of the departments of the School.
  • In the School of Education, students may not elect the Pass/Fail option for courses offered in the School of Education which are required for certification as a teacher.
  • In the School of Engineering, no course taken on Pass/Fail may be counted for credit toward graduation.
  • In the School of Pharmacy, no specifically required courses (all courses for which no alternate choice is given in the curricular listings) can be taken on Pass/Fail.
  • In the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture students may only place one course on the Pass/Fail option.

Temporary Marks of I and X

An I or X means the student has not earned course credit at the end of the semester and may be subject to scholastic probation or dismissal.

I (incomplete)

The instructor reports an I if the completed work is passing and the instructor decides that, due to unusual circumstances, the student cannot complete the course assignments by the scheduled end of the term. If the student completes the work by the end of the third week of the next semester, the instructor will send the Registrar a grade for the course. Otherwise, the Registrar will convert the I to I F. Effective with spring 2004 classes, upon successful completion of a course, the I on the academic record is replaced by the permanent letter grade. If the instructor does not submit a grade the Registrar will change the grade to IF or I U.

X (absent from the final examination)

The instructor reports an X only when a student missed the final examination and when passing it with a high mark could have given the student a passing grade for the course. If the student would have failed the course regardless of the grade on the final examination, the student will receive an F. If the instructor reports an X and the Dean of Students or designee excuses the absence, the instructor will give the student another opportunity to take the examination. The absence must be due to sickness or other unavoidable causes. The instructor must give the examination before the end of the third week of the next semester. If by the end of the third week of the next semester the instructor does not send a grade to the Registrar, the Registrar will change the X to X F or X U.

Extensions for I and X Grades

In exceptional instances, after consulting the instructor, the Dean of Students or designee may extend the time for completing courses marked I or X.

Other Temporary Marks

The letters N, and Y are temporary marks posted on a student’s academic record when the instructor has not reported a final grade.

  • N: recorded when no grade is reported for a student who has been registered in a course section; usually indicates a registration problem.
  • Y: recorded when course does not end at conclusion of semester or summer session. This mark may be assigned only to courses the Senate Curricula and Courses Committee specifically approves. It is not intended as an alternative to the I or X.

N, X, and Y temporary marks are replaced on the academic record by the actual grade when submitted by the instructor. An N mark which remains unresolved will become NF and be computed as an F at the end of the third week of the next semester. If no grade is submitted for a mark of X, the mark will automatically revert to a grade of F or U and will be shown as X F or XU.

Temporary marks I, X, N, Y do not prevent the calculation of either the semester or the cumulative grade point average.

Temporary marks I, X, and N do not represent earned credit. A student placed on probation with unresolved grades will be relieved of probation status if satisfactory completion of the work places his or her academic performance above the probation standards. See Scholastic Standards.

Grade Reports

Instructors of 1000 and 2000-level courses notify the Registrar by the end of the sixth week of the semester of students who appear to be in danger of earning D, F, U or N grades. The Registrar alerts the students, their advisors, and others, such as the First Year Programs Office, as appropriate, via the University’s e-mail system. These reports are not part of the permanent record. They are designed to be of diagnostic aid to the student. If a student is doing unsatisfactory work, the full responsibility for improvement is left to the student. The student is strongly advised, however, to confer with his or her advisor, with the instructors concerned, and with others qualified to assist him or her in improving his or her standing in the University. At the end of each semester, students may view their grades on the Student Administration System.

Changes of Course Grades

Grades are part of the student’s permanent record. Therefore they are not changed for reasons unrelated to course requirements or quality of work. An instructor may neither accept additional work nor give additional examinations once the grade in the course has been submitted. Nevertheless, there can be situations in which course grades may and ought to be changed. These comprise computational errors, clerical errors, and the discovery of overlooked components in a student’s body of work. In cases when the instructor of record concludes that a course grade ought to be changed, he or she determines a corrected grade and initiates the grade change process. The grade change must be approved by the head of the department offering the course (in departmentalized schools or colleges) and the dean of the school or college in which the course is taught in order to monitor grade changes and ensure that they are based only on the considerations mentioned above. If a grade change is approved, the dean will notify the instructor, student, and registrar in writing.

Appeals of Assigned Course Grades

A student who believes that an error in grading has occurred and wishes to request a review by the instructor of record must do so within six months of the course grade having been posted. If the instructor of record cannot be contacted, the student should contact the Department Head. If the instructor agrees that a change is justified, the instructor will initiate the grade change according to the procedure described above. Individual schools and colleges may have more stringent requirements.

If a student requests a review of a course grade and the instructor believes that the original grade is correct, the student may appeal the decision to the head of the department in which the course is taught within 30 days. The department head will seek input from the instructor and the student. If this process results in agreement by the instructor that a grade change is justified, the instructor will initiate the grade change. If the instructor and the department head agree that a grade change is not justified, the department head shall notify the student in writing with a copy to the instructor.

If the student is dissatisfied with the appeal decision, the student may request, within 10 days, through the dean of the school or college in which the course is taught, a review by the Faculty Grade Change Review Panel. If the department head thinks that a grade change is justified but the instructor does not agree, the department head shall request, through the dean of the school or college in which the course is taught, a review by a Faculty Grade Change Review Panel.

The Faculty Grade Change Review Panel is composed of three full-time faculty members appointed by the dean of the school or college in which the course is taught. The panel convenes a hearing within 10 working days of notification of a case. Both the appealing student and the course instructor should be present at the hearing. The student is afforded an opportunity to state the grounds on which he or she is appealing the grade. The instructor is afforded the opportunity to document the basis on which the grade was awarded. Both parties may present supporting evidence and/or request testimony of others. The panel may also request input from the department head. The Review panel will send a written report of the decision to the instructor, the student, the department head, and the dean of the school or college offering the course. If the panel recommends a grade change, it sends the Registrar a change of grade request signed by all the members of the Review Panel. The decision of the Faculty Review Panel shall be considered final.