The minor in Urban and Community Studies is an interdisciplinary minor with a focus on educating citizens on the multiple dimensions of urban and community life and preparing students for careers in public and community service. While available with any undergraduate major, this minor provides an especially appropriate complement to majors in the social sciences, as well as departments and schools that emphasize human services such as Human Development and Family Sciences or Education.
The minor requires passing 15 credits at the 2000 or above level. A writing course is not required for the minor, but students may register for these sections if offered:
- Required Core: URBN 2000/W.
- Core: Two of the following with no more than one per department (Cross-listed courses count towards the non-URBN department):
- Supporting: Two additional courses selected from Group 2 or the following list:
- ANTH 3150/W
- ECON 2327, 2328/W, 2431, 3431/W; ECON 3439/W/URBN 3439;
- EDLR 3547/W;
- ENGL 3235W;
- GEOG/CE 2500; 2510, 3000, 3500Q, 4200W;
- HIST/URBN 2650; HIST 2810, HIST 3102, 3520; HIST/AAAS 2530; HIST/AFRA/HRTS 3563; HIST/AFRA 3568;
- HDFS 2001, 3110, 3510, 3530, 3540/W;
- INTD 3584;
- NRE 3265;
- POLS 2072Q, 2622, POLS/HRTS 3212; POLS 3240E; POLS 3406/W, 3617; POLS/AFRA 3642; POLS 3662/LLAS 3270; POLS 3847;
- PP/URBN 2100; PP 3020/W; PP 3033/AFRA 3033/POLS 3633;
- SOCI 2301/W; SOCI/AFRA/HRTS 2530; SOCI 2651/W, 2705, 2709E/WE, 2907/W, 3201; SOCI 3459/W/HDFS 3240/W; SOCI 2510/W/AFRA 2510; SOCI 2670/W, 3601/W; SOCI/WGSS 2680/W; SOCI 3903/W/URBN 3276/W;
- URBN 2301Q, 2302; URBN/AMST 2400; URBN 3981/3991 (three credits combined) or INTD 3594; URBN 3993, 3995, 3998, 4999.
Students interested in pursuing a minor in Urban and Community Studies are advised to complete 1000-level courses in the social sciences, which may be prerequisites for courses in the Urban and Community Studies minor. These include but are not limited to GEOG/URBN 1200; ECON 1201; POLS 1602; PP 1001; SOCI 1001, 1251; STAT 1000Q/1100Q; and URBN 1300W. They should also plan on enrolling in URBN 2000 as soon as possible.
The minor is offered by the Urban and Community Studies Program.